Food Diversity - How to make Jaggery kheer - The complete Recipie from Himachal pradesh
- 1 ltr milk, full fat
- 3 tbsp rice, preferably the finer fragrant variety
- ½ tsp ghee (clarified butter)
- ½ tsp green cardamom pwd
- 3/4th cup crushed date palm jaggery, alternatively replace with sugar to taste
- Some chopped dry fruits ( almonds, dates, cashew nuts and raisins)
- Put the milk to boil on a thick bottom pan.
- Meanwhile wash and drain the rice, heat a frying pan and just sparingly brush the pan with ghee. Add rice and reduce the flame to low, fry for just a minute until the strands separate but the colour of the rice does not change. Do not stir too much rather toss to avoid breaking the rice strands and keep aside.
- Once the milk has come to a full boil then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 5 mins, then add the entire rice and using a long ladle stir it well.
- Leave the ladle in the pan and stir every 3-4 minutes scrapping down the cream from the sides and base of the vessel. Cook until until the kheer thickens then add the cardamom powder and remove from the heat.
- Now stir in the crushed jaggery or sugar until incorporated.
- Taste and adjust the sweetener, cover and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.