Food Diversity - How to make Makhana Kheer - The complete Recipe from Bihar
- 1 cup lotus seeds (makhanas)
- 1 tsp ghee
- 4 1/2 cups low-fat milk , 99.7% fat-free
- 1 tbsp sugar substitute
- a few saffron (kesar) strands
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (jaiphal) powder
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the lotus seeds and sauté on a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till they turn crisp.
- Remove from the flame and blend the lotus seeds in a mixer to a coarse mixture. Keep aside.
- Boil the milk in a deep non-stick pan, add the sugar substitute and coarsely crushed lotus seeds, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the saffron and nutmeg powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately garnished with pistachios slivers.